Solid waste (garbage) services are provided by Tahoe-Truckee Sierra Disposal (TTSD) and contracted through the District. TTSD provides home solid waste (garbage) pickup to all Northstar homes every Monday even if it is a holiday with two exceptions: Christmas and New Years Days. If these two holidays land on a Monday then pickup will occur the following day, Tuesday. If you would like to use this service, please adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Place your garbage out by 7 A.M. Monday mornings. Please do not put it out before Monday morning for you may receive unwanted visitors such as bears or other animals. TTSD will guarantee Monday pickup however, they will not guarantee the pickup time. If you miss TTSD’s pickup, please take it down to our courtesy dumpsters located on the south side of Northstar Drive across from the old Sawmill Flat Road (near the intersection of Basque). If it is necessary to have TTSD return for a missed pickup, please be aware that TTSD will charge an additional fee directly to the homeowner.
2. Please have your garbage placed in a can with a lockable top. This is an animal deterrent.
3. Please place your can towards the end of your driveway leaving enough room from the street to prevent it from being hit by snowplows or street sweepers.
4. Please refer to the Placer County - Waste Management Division for further information regarding Tahoe Area Solid Waste Programs including disposing of Household Hazardous Wastes, E-Waste, and information about the Materials Recovery Facility on Cabin Creek Road in Truckee.
Courtesy dumpsters/recycle bins are now in their permanent home located on the south side of Northstar Drive across from the old Sawmill Flat Road (near the intersection of Basque). These garbage dumpsters are available daily from 7am-8pm for use by all Northstar property owners. Please use these dumpsters if you are unable to place your garbage out for the Monday home pickup (homes and townhomes). For the protection of our bear population, please lock all dumpsters after every use. Do not throw hazardous material, appliances, furniture, yard debris or materials other than normal household garbage into the dumpsters. Recycling dumpsters are also located at this site for cardboard, paper, plastic and glass.
Should you require additional information or assistance, contact NCSD at (530) 562-0747. For additional information about pickup times, hazardous material disposal or general landfill disposal information, please call Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal at (530) 583-0148 or refer to the Placer County - Waste Management Division website.
Yard & Defensible Space Debris Recycling
Procedures for Disposing of Debris: To assist property owners, the District makes periodic curbside pick-ups at residences throughout the summer for pine needles and branches.
We do not provide on-call pickups.
In order to continue to provide this service, we ask that you please follow these instructions:
- All pine needles must be bagged, tied off and placed on your property next to the edge of the road.
- In order to facilitate removal, stack small branches or trees 5 inches in diameter or less in manageable piles (3 ft to 4 ft sections) at the edge of the road.
- If you contract for yard cleanup, your contractor may use the recycling site for disposal of needles and branches only.
- Do not place rocks, dirt and other debris in the bags.
- No household trash, grass clippings or construction debris of any kind or amount may be disposed of at the recycling site.
For information on access to the recycling site please contact the
Northstar Community Services District at (530)562-0747 or (530)562-0669.